housing disrepair claims

What is housing disrepair?

If you are living in a council home, social housing or housing association property your landlord is required to ensure that your home is fit for human habitation and in proper working order.

Housing disrepair claims can be made when a rented property deteriorates or requires repairs so that it is safe and suitable to live in, it is your landlord’s responsibility to ensure a reasonable living standard is met.

Housing disrepair usually consists of the following issues:

  • Mould or damp problems
  • Pest infestations
  • Leaks & water damage
  • Broken heating systems
  • Faulty electrical wiring
  • Internal deterioration
  • Gutters, drains, pipes & structural
  • Broken kitchen & bathroom fittings
Instant Claim Calculator


Ashley Y

Council Tenant

We had been waiting for 12 months for the damp to be repaired by the council but got nowhere. We were told by a friend that this company could help and within 6 months we received compensation for damages & all the damp and mould was removed.

client 4

Wayne B

Housing Association Tenant

client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4 client 4

Couldn’t leave any clothes in any of the bedrooms due to dampness and mould, our clothes, possessions & electronics were ruined and not to mention the huge amounts of stress this caused over the years. I am so grateful for your help with getting my property repaired for me & the financial compensation awarded to me has changed my life. Thank you so much

Liam M

Council Tenant

My flat was repaired in time for my child’s birth and I received rent refunds and compensation. The team were very helpful and understanding of my dangerous situation.

What is your landlord responsible for?

Landlords are always responsible for repairs in a reasonable period of time to the following after discovering any of the below:

  • Your property’s structure and exterior, such as the roof, walls and windows
  • Sanitary fittings such as baths, sinks and basins, this also includes pipes and drains
  • Heating and water systems
  • Gas appliances
  • Ventilation
  • Electrical wiring

Your landlord is not allowed to charge you for any of the repair work detailed above, and regardless of what your tenancy agreement says, they are responsible for these repairs. If your landlord agrees to be held responsible for additional repairs, this is determined by your tenancy agreement.

When should I make a housing disrepair claim?

If your landlord refuses to make repairs to your property that they are responsible for, you may be able to sue them.

To be eligible to make a claim you must have informed your landlord about the disrepair, you will need to provide evidence and we can assist you with this process. If your landlord has failed to make a repair within reasonable time limits then you can claim against them.

After your tenancy has expired, you may file a housing disrepair claim either during or after it. You must, however, submit a claim within six years of giving notice to your landlord about the disrepair. Personal injury claims must be filed within three years of notification.

It’s crucial to know that your landlord may not be held liable for repairs caused by your negligence or unreasonableness, even if the problems are the result of you failing to properly care for the property. As a rule of thumb, we don’t accept private landlord claims because if you’ve used a letting agency or your landlord is an individual with whom we can’t help.

Find out if you’re eligible to file a NO WIN, NO FEE disrepair claim today.

What can I claim compensation for?

You can file a claim with the court to have your landlord made repairs after you make a disrepair claim. In addition, if you live in an apartment building that’s been declared dangerous by the local authority and haven’t been made safe, you may be entitled to compensation for emotional distress, property damage, or both.

Damage to belongings – You are entitled to compensation for any items that have been damaged or lost as a result of the property’s poor condition. You can also seek compensation for belongings that were harmed while undergoing repairs carried out by your landlord.

Financial loss – You may be eligible to claim compensation if your landlord fails to carry out maintenance on time. If you are in arrears of rent, this will have an impact on your outcome.

Personal injury – If you have been hurt as a result of your landlord’s negligence, you may file a personal injury claim. Respiratory problems caused by damp or mold, injuries caused by slipping or tripping hazards, carbon monoxide poisoning, and other sorts of injuries are all possible claims. We can offer medical documentation, professional testimony, and court action proceedings to assist you with this.

Inconvenience – compensation for inconveniences such as general disruption to your daily life, not being able to use your home or having to wait for repairs to be carried out.

How do I make a claim for housing disrepair?

We specialize in claims against your local council, local authority, social housing and housing associations; however, we cannot accept claims from renters against private landlords.

Because the procedure of pressing a claim against your landlord is complicated, you’ll want to enlist the aid of an attorney. If you wish to make a claim, the first step is to consult with an expert about your scenario in order to see whether your case meets the requirements for a claim.

Before you can make a claim, you must follow the Pre-Action Protocol for Housing Conditions Claims. The pre-action protocol outlines a number of steps that you must follow before you can make your claim. If you fail to follow these steps then you could face sanctions at a later point during proceedings.

You can follow these procedures in an effort to resolve your dispute: begin by attempting to discover a Resolution Alternative, submit a letter of claim to your landlord, and request any documents you need from him.

If your landlord does not respond to your letter of claim, or if their response is insufficient, you can proceed with legal action by filing a claim with the county court.

How we assist with housing disrepair claims.

We understand how difficult it may be to live in a home that is in disrepair, and we are here to assist you. Our staff of lawyers specialize in housing law and have extensive experience handling property damage claims as well as personal injury claims. With their knowledge, you can obtain the assistance and compensation you need.

Housing disrepair cases are very complex, this is why it is highly recommended that you seek the assistance of a legal professional to help you with your case. As specialist housing disrepair lawyers, we know exactly what it takes to make a successful claim based on the repair issues.

We can begin by assessing your case to discover the specifics and evaluate if you are qualified to make a housing disrepair claim. We may then provide you with dependable legal advise on what your next actions should be from here. If you decide to proceed with your claim, our team will help you throughout the process, including ensuring that you follow the pre-action protocol, submitting your claim, gathering all of the needed evidence, and appearing for you at a hearing.

Our solicitors will be there for you throughout the entire process. For more information about the services that we offer, contact our team today on 0333 050 9030

How much does it cost to claim?

If you don’t qualify for legal aid, you’ll have to pay the fees yourself. The expenses fluctuate based on which court route you use. Small claims, rapid track, and multi-track are the three court routes accessible.

Small claims court is the place where you may have your case heard if it’s less than £10,000 in value. If you are seeking a repair order, and the cost of repair work is under £1000, and the harm repaid is under £1000, your case can only be heard in small claims court. If your claim isn’t eligible for small claims court, it’ll most likely be fast-tracked.

If you win your case then your landlord can be ordered to cover your costs for you.

Court proceedings & fees can vary from case to case, our lawyers can tell you more about the fees that you will need to pay, call us on 0333 050 9030 to claim today.

Find out if you’re eligible to file a NO WIN, NO FEE disrepair claim today.

Our no win, no fee policy

Whether your landlord is a local authority council or a housing association, if they don’t live up to their duty of ensuring that you are safe and comfortable in your home, you can sue them for the poor living conditions that include damages for personal injury.

We believe that everyone should be able to access reliable and professional assistance with their housing disrepair issues, this is why we work on a no-win, no-fee basis however we can not assist you if you are a private tenant, you still have rights and we would advise you to review the tenant act before you instruct legal action or seek advice from a firm that caters for private tenants with the legal costs covered on a no win no fee basis.

That’s because if you lose your case, our services will not be charged to you in legal fees. If your case is successful, no up-front fees will be required; instead, the payment will be deducted from your compensation amount. A “no win no fee basis” is a type of conditional fee agreement. We are governed by the Solicitors Regulation Authority, and we are neither middlemen nor a claims management business, so working with us directly allows you to receive the best possible service.

How much compensation can you get for housing disrepair?

The compensation awarded for housing disrepair claims varies from case to case. Compensation is calculated based on several factors including:

  • How much your rent costs
  • The severity of the disrepair
  • How long the issues have persisted since you informed your landlord

In some cases, if your property is completely uninhabitable, you could be awarded 100% of the cost of your rent for the duration of time that the issue has persisted, however, this is unusual. Generally, you can expect to receive between 25% to 50% of your rent in compensation.

Frequently asked questions

You can submit a disrepair claim against your landlord if you are a resident of rented property that has fallen into disrepair. If your landlord fails to repair faults or does not maintain the property in good form, your house may be damaged as a result.

The compensation you could be eligible for is determined by how serious your housing disrepair problem is, as well as the length that poor conditions in the home have persisted. In most housing disrepair circumstances, tenants may receive between 25 and 50 percent of their rent. Our housing lawyers can tell you how much compensation you might get due to landlord negligence and help you contact us.

Yes. Mould can cause many issues including damage to your belongings as well serious health issues that you can seek restitution for. If the mould in your rental property has occurred because of a repair issue then you can make a claim for disrepair. Our housing disrepair lawyers can help you to take legal action to get the compensation that you deserve.

The disrepair protocol is a series of steps that you must take before you make a claim against your landlord. They include attempting to find an Alternative Dispute Resolution, sending a letter of claim to your landlord and waiting a reasonable amount of time for a response from your landlord. It is very important that you follow the protocol correctly, our housing solicitors will ensure that all the pre court action steps for your potential claim are completed.

Yes, it is possible to sue your landlord for damp issues that continue to create poor housing conditions in your property. For example, if the damp has damaged your belongings, disrupted your daily life or has made you ill.